Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Once upon a potato...


I really wanted to try this potato gratin, inspired by one in March's Bon Appetit, earlier last week. Unfortunately I had no capers, parmesan instead of pecorino, and waxy potatoes instead of russets. Since I'm stubborn as a mule, of course I tried it anyway. Not so hot. So I tried it again this week and paired it with some grilled lamb (can you tell I like it rare?!) and some Trader Joe's balsamic butter roasted veggies. This time it was a bit more successful. My other half thinks its better than the rich cream laden kind. I'm not entirely convinced, but it was a tasty, lighter gratin.

Sicilian Potato Gratin

3.5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup shredded pecorino romano
4 Tbsp. capers, drained
3 Tbsp. smoked sundried tomatoes, chopped fine
3 Tbsp. garlic and rosemary seasoning
2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer 1/3 of the potato slices in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pyrex baking dish. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, top with 1/4 cup pecorino, half the capers and half the sundried tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and 1 Tbsp. of rosemary garlic seasoning. Repeat with another layer. Top the second layer with a drizzle of remaining oil and season as before. Pour chicken stock into the pan. Bake for 45 minutes covered with foil. Sprinkle remainder of pecorino on top and finish baking uncovered for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails