Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Souper Food

I had a sleepless night last Sunday, and after going all day Monday on an hour and a half of shut eye, I was feeling pretty crummy. My immune system was about to crash and I really needed something warm and comforting with a lot of nutrients. This is my version of Caldo Verde, a spicy Portuguese sausage and greens soup, traditionally made with cherizo, hard to find here in MD. I grew up near New Bedford, MA (Emeril's hometown) and I felt like I was one of two non-Portuguese people in town. Luckily, their food is amazing. This soup is pure nourishment for body and soul.


Caldo Verde

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
2 1/2 cups diced waxy potatoes
16 oz. Turkey Keilbasa
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2/3 cup sherry
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs of rosemary
small bunch fresh thyme
1 tsp. liquid smoke
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
4 packed cups kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. Chianti vinegar
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic and keilbasa. Saute until fragrant and vegetables start to soften. Add sherry and seasonings and cook another minute. Add stocks and water, bring to a boil. Add kale and turn down to a simmer, cooking until kale has softened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and vinegar and serve hot.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails