Saturday, May 31, 2008

Wish upon a star...



Some of my fondest memories growing up go back to stays with my grandparents. My Grandma Bunnie likes to sleep late, but I've always been an early riser like my Poppie. Poppie would get up in the morning and make me pancakes. Then we would walk down to the park with their dog Sheebie and stroll along the water. On countless weekends I've wished I was six again and waking up at Grandma and Poppie's.

Pancakes are so sentimentally important to me that I am very picky about the perfect pancake. I won't eat pancakes out for that reason. When I make them at home I use this recipe, full of flavor, crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle.

Lemon Pancakes with a Hint of Raspberry



1 cup raspberry yogurt
3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
zest of one lemon
one egg, beaten
3 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp raspberry extract

1 1/3 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

butter for the pan

Preheat a buttered nonstick pan or griddle (and any pancake molds if you like) over medium high heat. Combine all wet ingredients and whisk. Add dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.

Fill pancake molds or drop small spoonfuls of batter onto the pan (Batter will rise and spread until about double the original size). Cook until golden brown on the bottom and bubbles show around the edges, then flip. Cook until just cooked through on the inside and golden brown on the bottom.



Serve right off the griddle or these will lose their crisp outsides. No syrup is needed and I recommend you eat these by hand.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails