Saturday, July 19, 2008
I've been tagged for another meme... this time by the beautiful Leslie, The Hungry Housewife! How about a tasty treat to go along with it?
It's cherry season in these parts... Picked up some beautiful Bings up from the farmers market and have had visions of clafoutis ever since. I also couldn't resist the Mt Rainiers pictured alongside, having never tried them before. This made a very decadent breakfast, the cherries paired with a luscious chocolate almond custard-like pancake.
Chocolate Cherry Almond Clafoutis
1 cup ripe bing cherries or other sweet cherry, pitted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all natural cane sugar
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/8 cup high quality cocoa powder
1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/8 cup sliced almonds
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease 4 small oven safe dishes, such as creme brulee dishes and place inside a 9" x 13" pyrex dish. Divide cherries among them and arrange as desired on the bottom. Combine eggs, sugar, milk, cream, extracts, salt, cocoa and flour in a blender and pulse until well combined. Pour into small dishes, up to within a 1/4 " of the rim. Arrange sliced almonds on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Don't be afraid if they rise up out of their dishes! They'll sink back in as they cool.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve.
6 Random Things About Me
1. I've been riding horses since before I could walk, won a state title in Massachusetts when I was 13, and lived on a horse farm for 2 years in college
2. I have a black thumb. Everything I plant dies quickly and miserably.
3. Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year. Whenever I'm in a bad mood (regardless of the season) I turn on Christmas carols and instantly feel my blood pressure go down.
4. I love Indy car racing, but can't stand NASCAR. Go figure.
5. I secretly want to learn how to fly fish. Not sure why, i just do.
Keeping in the Daring Bakers circle, I tag:
Fay at A Beautiful Mosaic
Jasmine from Confessions of A Cardamom Addict
Amy of Eggs on Sunday
Mandy behind Fresh From the Oven
Gabi, the voice of The Feast Within
Susan at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy
~ Link to the person who tagged you.
~ Post the rules on the blog.
~ Write six random things about yourself.
~ Tag six people at the end of your post.
~ Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
~ Let the tagger know when your entry is up.