Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Wonton Some Soup Please!



I've been dreaming of wonton soup for weeks now. Not just craving, or wanting or wishing for, it is literally haunting my dreams. So when a cool Sunday night provided the perfect opportunity, I seized it and made some velvety wontons bathed in rich buttery broth. I don't have much to say about this dish, except that it is the most perfect wonton soup I've ever had. You must try this as the seasons change and the air gets cooler!

Shitake & White Corn Wonton Soup


Wontons
Makes about 3 dozen wontons.

3/4 pound ground pork
1/2 cup minced shitake mushrooms
2 Tbsp Chinese black vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sriracha
1 small scallion, sliced thin
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
ground pepper

36 - 40 square wonton wrappers
water

Combine all ingredients for wonton filling in a small bowl and use your hands to mix it well. In each wonton wrapper, place a generous tsp of filling in the center. Dip your finger in water and use it to moisten the edges of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper diagonally over the filling, forming a triangle. Press edges together, then fold two side flaps down and seal with water. Repeat until all the filling has been used.


Wonton Soup

1 tsp unsalted butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms
1 cob of white sweet corn, kernals removed (cob reserved)
1/2 cup cream sherry
2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
1 porcini bouillon (see pantry essentials sidebar for sources)
1 Tbsp mirin
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp lemongrass paste
2 tsp salt
wontons and additional wonton wrappers, torn into strips
2 large scallions, sliced diagonally
2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil

In a stockpot over medium-high heat, melt the butter with olive oil. Saute the mushrooms and corn kernals until slightly softened and mushrooms have absorbed most of the fats. Add sherry to deglaze, then broths, water, boullion, mirin and corn cob. Bring to a boil. Add ginger, lemongrass, salt, wontons and extra wrappers and boil until all wontons have risen to the top and wrappers are translucent. Turn off the heat, remove corn cob and add scallions, spinach, and sesame oil. Serve immediately with large spoons.

14 comments:

Olga said...

This looks so beautiful. Even in the 90 degree weather I'd be happy to eat a bowl of that. Instead, my soup today is broccoli/celery/cheese.

Want to trade? :)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Nice. I like that you added the corn cob to the soup for extra sweetness.

P said...

I can practically smell the soup from here! It looks delicious. Thanks for the veg site! Hope your first day was good.

Antonio Tahhan said...

hi Dana! Thanks for stopping by! I like your blog, too! I've been browsing through it and I'll definitely be bookmarking it :)
I noticed you're from Baltimore? I just moved to the DC area a couple months ago... do you know of any good grocery stores or restaurants around here?

AmyTheFreak said...

I've been craving wonton soup for the past week and a half. I am excited to move out on Sunday, I am wanting to cook a lot of Chinese food. I am getting recipe's from a Thai restaurant in payment of doing photography for my friend's band.

I originally just wanted the Chicken Fried Rice one... but now I really need the one for the wonton soup.

Someone needs to buy me a wok for a dorm warming gift.

Amber said...

Just thought you would find this funny and ironic. On TasteSpotting, your soup is #20163 along with 'whisper'. #20164 is next to you with the name 'holler'. Coincidence? I think not, someone at TasteSpotting is probably having fun.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Just came across your blog. I will be bookmarking it. This soup looks so tasty!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the idea of using the corncob to flavor the broth. I'm dying to try that.

You should definitely submit this recipe to the cookthink root source challenge--you might win a cookbook!

http://www.cookthink.com/blog/?p=1118

Anonymous said...

so delicious looking! wow!

nicole said...

This soup looks delicious.
www.testkitchenrecipes.blogspot.com

Heather said...

ahh i love wonton soup! this looks beautiful!

T’s Treats said...

That sounds fantastic! and its presents beautifully!

Chibog in Chief said...

OMG this is killing me..i would love love to have some!! and the photos are mouth-watering yum

Jaime said...

my mom throws some shrimp into her wontons as well - she says it's the secret ingredient that makes them extra good :) this sure looks tasty though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails