Sunday, September 7, 2008

"Hot Dogs" with a Thai Twist




I've been really awful. You see, Sweet Paul gave me my first blog awards about a month ago and I have yet to announce it or pass them on! It just keeps slipping my mind! Plus, I knew it needed a great recipe to do it justice! So, Paul, I do apologize and they do mean so much to me! I am passing each on to a blog that is well-deserving of the honor!

The I love your blog award goes to Gwendolyn of Patent and the Pantry! I love your beautiful food photos and retro style!


The Brilliante Weblog 2008 gets passed to Gattina of Kitchen Unplugged! This international woman of mystery is truely brilliant, and her vibrant colors and great compositions never fail to inspire!


I love both of these blogs, so do check them out! And now for the recipe...

Hot dogs are great off the grill, snug in a soft bun with a little coleslaw or sauerkraut. But they're just not that special. This takes your normal dog to another level. It starts with a fragrant Thai Sub Roll, topped with a layer of warm, spicy, sweet and nutty slaw and topped off with charred gourmet Thai chicken sausages. Serve alongside grilled zucchini and summer squash that's been marinated in Thai dressing and you've got all new inspiration for your Sunday cookout!

Thai Sausage Rolls Dressed with Warm Peanut Slaw


1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sriracha
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 large head Napa cabbage, finely shredded
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

4 Thai chicken sausages
4 Thai Sub Rolls

Combine vinegar, peanut butter, sesame oil, lime juice, soy sauce, sriracha and sugar in a large nonstick skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat until peanut butter has "melted" into sauce. Add cabbage and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes, or until cabbage has softened. Toss with peanuts before serving.

Grill chicken sausages over high heat until well charred. Slice buns down the middle. Pile in the Kraut (slaw?) and top with a sausage. Serve immediately.

Thai Sub Rolls


3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 packet instant yeast (also labeled Rapid Rise)
1 cup thai stock (Wegmans makes a great one - alternatively blend 1 cup chicken stock with 1 tsp Tom Yum paste)
1 Tbsp grated lemongrass
2 tsp sriracha

1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp black sesame seeds


In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, blend together dry ingredients. With the mixer on low, slowly add in stock, sriracha and lemongrass. Kneed the dough for 5 minutes on low speed. The dough should be soft and smooth. Form into a ball and transfer to an oiled bowl. Wrap loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Let rise one hour.

Separate into 4 to 6 pieces, depending on the size you like your rolls. I like to match their length to the length of the sausages I'm using. Sprinkle part of your counter (or parchment paper if you prefer) with cornmeal. Form the dough into an oblong roll and transfer to prepared surface. Let rise another hour. With 1/2 an hour to go, preheat oven to 450 F with a pizza stone in the middle.

Brush the rolls with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds and place on the preheated pizza stone. Mist the oven walls with water. Bake for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 400, and mist again. Let bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

7 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

What a brilliant idea! Thai subs with all the Thai flavouings in there: genius!

Anonymous said...

I am so honoured! Thanks for the award. I'll definitely be coming back to visit your blog too.

Heather said...

wow! what a cool concept. i would never have thought of it! looks tasty... and congrats on the awards :)

Anonymous said...

Those rolls look awesome!!

Gattina Cheung said...

VB, your thai rolls rock!!! It's worth the waiting.
And you are so sweet (what a honor!) to give me the award, I'll pass it on :)

Amber said...

Just thought I would let you know who won since you were a "Paying It Forward" person. At midnight of the 7/8th I selected Leslie of "The Hungry Housewife". I do not know how to link in my posts on a Mac so if you do please let me know. She is in my Tasty Links though so you can click there and say hi.

test it comm said...

These sausages sound really tasty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails