Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Case of the Munchies...



At every dinner party, there's that period of time when the cook needs to put the finishing touches on the meal, when everyone has a cocktail, but as the host, you're wondering if you're keeping them waiting too long. An easy, make-ahead munchie can save the day, cutting hunger without filling anyone up.

Since Thanksgiving is the ultimate dinner party, and I have a huge group of starving people to fend off, I like to put out some really great cheese, an antipasto platter, crudite and these spiced nuts. It's all easy and store-bought except for the nuts. I make them the weekend before and all I have to do is plop em in a bowl and put them on the table. Take a glance back in a couple minutes and they'll be gone - but you'll be a hero.

Spicy Mixed Nuts


2 1/2 cups mixed nuts - any combination of whole almonds, cashews, macademia nuts, peanuts, pecan halves or walnuts
1 1/2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
3 1/2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp ancho chile powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
1 cup mini-pretzels, broken up slightly

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Spread out the nuts on top of a silpat* on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally and checking frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix butter, sugar, spices and maple syrup in a medium bowl.

When nuts are done, empty them into the bowl, followed by salt and pretzels. Toss to coat, then turn back out onto the silpat. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring twice. Remove from oven and let cool.

These are good slightly warm, but if you cool them completely they'll last for a week in an airtight container (ready and waiting for the doorbell to ring!)


*A silpat is a silicone coated sheet pan lined that I strongly suggest you invest in if you do a lot of baking. If you don't have one, parchment paper will work, but it may stick a bit more and it can be awkward to work with.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH I bet those taste delicious!!

Heather said...

ohh. i love the pumpkin pie spice! what a great idea! i'm definitely trying these for thanksgiving! and, i do love vaccaro's gelato. and cannoli. and their cookies... pretty much all of it :)

Simone said...

I just happened upon your blog and I like it very much. This recipe looks very tasty, I am definitely going to make these.
Thanks.

Amber said...

Hi Dana, I love spiced nuts and glazed nuts and raw nuts and toasted nuts and nuts in candy and cake and cookies and ice cream and pie. Did I miss anything? These sound very interesting because I have never had them with pumpkin pie spice or maple. Send me some okay?
One thing I like to do since I often bring all the desserts is too make chocolate dipped dried fruit because it is easy though pricey, and different than so much sugar. I have a cheap way to display that stuff that I hope to post soon.
See you next weekend.

test it comm said...

Those spicy nuts sound good!

Anonymous said...

Wow...it make me hungry..
thanks for sharing..!!
cheers,
magnetic bracelet clasp

Related Posts with Thumbnails