Thursday, March 19, 2009

Apologies...



I am a bad bad blogger and I repent for my sins...

It's not that I haven't been cooking, I've hosted big dinner parties and simmered slow braises and uncovered the grill on nicer days...

It's not that it hasn't been post worthy, with fabulous roast beef in a port wine dijon reduction, white pizza with sausage, fried eggs and truffle oil, aged gouda mac and cheese, classic fish and chips. With so much good food coming out of my kitchen I have no excuse.

I guess the truth is that blogging was just too daunting for someone inundated with coursework, grading, entertaining, mentoring, wedding planning and renovating.

And I stand by my earlier statement (see last year) that March is evil.

So I'm begging you not to give up on me, not to write me off as dead, at least to the blogging world. I promise I'll be back, and probably posting almost every day again next summer. And for now, to stave off metaphorical hunger, here's the recipe for what L calls "the absolute best chicken soup I've ever tasted". It's light, with a good amount of bright acid, plenty of heat from peppers (feel free to reduce to your taste), the richness of the tender chicken and creamy contrast of fresh avocado.

Mexican Chicken Soup


1 large sweet onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 chipotles in adobo, minced
1/2 cup light colored beer
3 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 Tbsp adobo seasoning
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ancho chile powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 cup basmati rice
13.5 oz. canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup banana pepper rings and about 1/8 cup of the vinegar they come in
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cups torn leftover roasted chicken (rotisserie chicken is good for this)
2/3 cup frozen corn kernels
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 large avocado, chopped

Saute onions in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and chipotles and saute another minute. Deglaze with beer. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, seasonings and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked. Add black beans, peppers and their juice, chicken, lime juice and corn and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and add cilantro, tomatoes and avocado right before serving.

1 comment:

Heather said...

welcome back :) i missed your blogs! hope wedding planning is going well :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails