Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Popovers


There are few things I love more than a popover.  Light and eggy - crunchy on the outside, airy and a little flakey like a fresh croissant in the middle.  These are perfect with soup, alongside a salad, to sop up the juice of a good roast, and just by themselves.  So when I saw this recipe for a sweet version, I was all over it.  I am of course incapable of baking anything without some almond extract, so that was one of my alterations along with a couple others.


These are completely addictive so beware.  It may or may not be true that in 3 hours, there is only one popover left - zipped up and hidden so that I don't have to admit to eating an entire batch singlehandedly.  They make a fantastic breakfast but no doubt would be lovely served almost like a profiterole - stuffed with some good ice cream.


Cinnamon Sugar Crusted Popovers
Makes 6 (in a popover tin) - 9 (in a muffin tin)

1 cup 2% milk
2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
2 jumbo (or 3 large) eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp Saigon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Grease a popover tin (or muffin tin).

Combine milk, butter, eggs, extracts, salt, sugar and flour in a blender.  Blend until well combined - about 10 seconds.

Fill each cup of the tin about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way full, dividing the batter evenly.  Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.  Combine cinnamon and sugar in a container with a lid.

Let cool about 3 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack.  As soon as they are cool enough to handle, brush one with butter then add to the cinnamon sugar container and shake to coat.  Repeat with remaining popovers.

These are best when still warm and crunchy, but can be stored in an airtight container for a day or two.  I think.  I've never actually had them last that long!

8 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Those look SO good. Anything with cinnamon is a plus in my book. :)

Memória said...

Oh, I could seem myself stuffing homemade vanilla bean ice cream inside of those babies. They look fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. These look great! I think a Cinnamon Ice Cream would work well with these!

A good cup coffee would also do the trick! Great stuff!

Susan S said...

I've never thought to do a sweet popover before. They look delicious, perfect for a weekend breakfast treat. I'll definitely be trying them out.

Maryam said...

wow .. looks delicious I'll try it

Anonymous said...

Well I have made these twice in about 4 days and they just don't survive. Even my husband who never eats sweet things ate 2!

The Chatty Nib said...

Can't wait to try them!

Quick question, what does 2% milk mean?

una donna dolce said...

2% milk has only 2 percent milkfat remaining.

Related Posts with Thumbnails