Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snow (Ice?) Day!!!



Woke up this morning and Baltimore County schools were on a two hour delay. Went back to sleep for a couple of hours and they had canceled for the day!

The roads are truly fearsome, covered in ice. In truth, everything is covered in ice. It's beautiful, but only from inside my cozy little cape with a mug of hot chocolate.

So, snow day. What to do, what to do? Make crepes!

Okay, so it does bother me a little bit that I should be so typically feminine in regards to Breakfast. As C.J. said last season on Top Chef, women really seem to like crepes, I'm not sure why. But you cook some up and fill them with anything and they go nuts. Then he preceded to wind Padma's approval on the breakfast quickfire.

I'm not really sure where the appeal comes from - I guess it's hormonal or something, I just know that nothing beats a warm, tender, slightly crispy on the edges crepe wrapped around a sweet filling. (Although savory crepes around serrano ham and a good melting cheese are pretty hot too). I blame my father for sending me to France for a week in high school.

Anyway... My favorite sweet fillings? Nutella and or fruits.

Hence the following delectable creation...


Nutella Crepes with Bananas Brulee

Crepes
Ingredients:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup 1% organic milk
1/4 cup warm water
3 Tbsp. melted butter
3 eggs
2 Tbsp. sugar
pinch salt
1/2 tsp almond extract


Directions:
combine all ingredients in a blender. Pulse until well blended. Batter should be extremely thin. Let sit 1/2 hour.




Rub a nonstick pan with butter and warm over medium high heat. Pour in a small amount of batter and swirl to make a very thin round crepe. when edges brown slightly, flip over delicately using a spatula. Eat immediately or keep warm in foil in an oven on the lowest setting.

Bananas Brulee
Peel a ripe banana and slice it down the middle. Sprinkle with sugar (I like turbinado) and singe with a kitchen blowtorch until the sugar melts and caramelizes, forming a hard shell on the banana.



Spread nutella on crepes and wrap a crepe around each half of the banana. Ooh and aah as warm chocolate oozes onto your fingers and you crunch noisily through the banana's defenses.

Then look outside and laugh at all the silly people trying to drive around on the ice.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Delicioso. My daughter and I tried this with raspberries and cream cheese. I can't keep bananas around long enough to cook them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails